I'm running a TOR relay and I'm confused with the node identity keys. The secret_id_key is the identity key that was used in version 2, but now the ed25519_master_id_key is used for version 3?
Tor Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for researchers, developers, and users of Tor. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
secret_id_key is an RSA key and
ed25519_master_id_key is a Ed25519 key used for Hidden Services v3.
Here is what the spec says about it: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/rend-spec-v3.txt#n127
0.1. Improvements over previous versions.
Here is a list of improvements of this proposal over the legacy hidden services:
- Better crypto (replaced SHA1/DH/RSA1024 with SHA3/ed25519/curve25519)
- Improved directory protocol leaking less to directory servers.
- Improved directory protocol with smaller surface for targeted attacks.
- Better onion address security against impersonation.
- More extensible introduction/rendezvous protocol.
- Offline keys for onion services
- Advanced client authorization