I’ve got a Debian VM with a relay running, however, I’d like to transfer it to another VM with minimal Debian installed. If I assign the new machine with the same IP and configurations, can it run the same relay? I would also delete the first VM.
You can transfer a relay to another machine, even if it has a different IP address.
- Stop the Tor process at the old computer.
- Install your operating system on the new machine.
- Install Tor on you Debian system. Best is to follow the instructions from the Tor Project.
- Stop the Tor process:
systemctl stop tor.
- Copy the
torrcfrom your old system to the new system.
- Copy the files from
/var/lib/tor/keysto the new system into the same directory. Check that they have the same permissions.
- Start the Tor process:
systemctl start tor.
- Check the logs for errors, warnings etc.
- If everything works smooth, you can delete the files at the old system.
Now your new system has the same configurations, identity, etc. as the old system.