Is it advisable to host a very lightweight (less than 300 KiB per page, including all images, stylesheets etc.) general purpose site as a hidden service?
I do not expect there to be many users (overestimating 1 GiB bandwidth usage over 1 month)
I am not worried about me nor my users being anonymous
Is this small amount of traffic good for the Tor network?
It adds some noise so that the legitimate users blend in. But it also reduces their available bandwidth.
I am also planning on using server-side processing (PHP in particular).
- I can get a semi-custom Onion domain for free/low cost
- I can provide better uptime than free hosts on the clearnet
- Allows legitimate users that require Tor to blend in with traffic generated from site
- Introduces people to Tor and Tor Browser Bundle (eventually some will become relays)
- Reduces the bandwidth for legitimate users
- Possibly more likely for me to be D/DoS-ed
(people aren't going to take down a site that is helping them blend in, will they?)
- More people trying to hack me (even easier since they can do it anonymously)
- Less accessible for people (but that's my problem)