Somehow Hacker News (and maybe other sites) remembers my login despite my closing the windows and changing Tor routes. How? Here's what I do:
- Start Tor Browser 7.0.2; open some websites in tabs.
- Go to http://news.ycombinator.com, click Login, and then login.
- Hacker News now shows my username at the top right. I also check the exit node by clicking the onion button.
- Close the tab showing Hacker News. Tor Browser is still running with other sites loaded, but no tabs have Hacker News loaded.
- Open a new tab, without changing identities, and load http://news.ycombinator.com.
- Hacker News shows my username at the top right. Click the onion button to check the route and exit node: Sometimes no route is shown at all (?!); other times it shows a different route and exit than in step 3.
It seems to me that step 6 shouldn't happen. There is no cookie, and my IP address has changed. I'd be surprised if Hacker News uses browser fingerprinting or other tracking and I haven't seen signs of it ... but maybe I should be surprised. More likely, there's something I don't understand about Tor Browser.